Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wonky Letters

Lately, I've been struck by the art of free pieced quilting. I'm a bit fan of the look and style as well as the variety of things you can create by putting words/phrases/letters into a quilt.

This weekend, I sat down and started experimenting. I used Tonya's wonderful tutorial for free pieced letters as well as Brenda's mini-tutorial on how to make the letters more uniform.



I was going to do letters in multiple colors but quickly realized that for a first try, it was much easier to do them all one colors so I could reused units and use a little bit of strip piecing to make it go faster.



You might notice that I didn't do many angles. All letters that could be pieced without them were. Hence, my "m", "w" and a few other letters aren't quite what I'd like. but it was certainly easier that way. In fact only 4 of my letters have angles: "k", "v", "x", and "z". The K and V were easy (and I love how the K turned out!) but the X and Z about killed me. I have a hard time visualizing how seam allowances affect the piecing and ended up ripping several times when I realized the finished letter was going to be about .5 inches wide by the time I got done with it.



All that being said, I really enjoyed this exercise and was extremely chuffed with how they came out. My husband doesn't like them as much as my normal, non-wonky pieced work, but I predicted that. He's a very orderly, likes-things-in-their-place type of guy, so I was not surprised that the wonky letters offended his sensibilities. However, I loved them so much that I just laughed it off. I did a couple of trial layouts with some blocks I have but didn't like it enough to make it into a top. So for now, they are on my design wall (piece of batting draped over my office door).

6 comments:

  1. They're great! I like the fact you did a whole alphabet. I haven't managed that yet, I just make the letters I need. and you're right that the letters with angles are more difficult. after a bit more practice you'll get more comfortable with them. thanks for showing me your work. and now you can write with fabric, which is think is exceedingly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, these are great. you did a fabulous job and I love your k too! my husband doesn't like this stuff either - he's mr symmetry with calm colors. boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Makes me think of an early sampler gone digital...or something...anyway, you'll come up with something to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're brilliant. I love the "t". My husband can never see them. He looks at the background fabric and keeps on asking what it is. Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these letters! Thanks for the great cathedral quilt links too! I will have to try it one of those ways- they look much more managable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the alphabet sampler.......I'm gonna do one too......maybe even hand quilt it with fans like Tonya's.....looks so cute. Nice job 0)

    happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete