Friday, February 6, 2009

Computer Quilt 2

This is the 2nd in the series of computer quilts. It's largely the same as the first, but with the addition of a mouse. The mouse was appliquéd with fusible webbing and then satin stitched along the edges.



Again, I adore this fabric of the bouncing cards we all know from the Windows solitaire game. But observant people will notice that the cards are bouncing the wrong way! My mom (who loves her solitaire games) noticed immediately. But no one else did. Go mom.

This was also one of my first forays into free motion quilting and stippling. It worked pretty well, but there was a lot of trial and error to get the tension adjusted correctly. But I love the effect on the red fabric with the red thread.

The non-background parts of the quilt aren't stippled. I quilting along the key rows to make the keys "pop" out of the fabric. I added general swirls and zigzags on the circuit fabric. I mostly left the cards alone, and just quilting around the cards.

The backing and binding are made out of the same fabric. Turns out the polka dots are too big for binding. Lesson learned: use small polka dots if doing a narrow binding.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the advice about the down comforter. I washed it first thing this morning and hung it out on the line all day; we had sunshine and wind so I’m pretty sure it’s dry. I noticed each time I checked on it how the feathers puffed up pretty well as they were drying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your computer quilt is pretty cool! And I love your binding...the random dots are a nice counterpoint to the computer concept. Normally, I'd say the large dots don't work so well for the binding, but in this case, I think they're brilliant!

    ReplyDelete