Sunday, March 29, 2009

Aqua Flowers

Finished! I've been trying to post this entry for a week, but we've had nothing but rain for a week.



I really wanted to get pictures of this one outside in natural light. I ended up running outside during the evening, so the pictures and colors are a bit warmer than in reality, but at least they weren't taken inside.



This was made using the templates from Kellie over at Don't Look Now. She has several wonderful tutorials including the one for the pillow that this wall hanging is based on.





I didn't use Kellie's technique of raw-edge fusible applique. Instead I just did some needle turn applique. I had never tried it before, but I figured what the heck. I was watching a ton of basketball (yay for the NCAA tournament!) and needed some handwork.



I loved the splash of red from the little birdie and incorporated a piece of the red into the pieced border as well.



I used 2 layers of batting to try to get the puffy look on the flowers and leaves. I did a random meandering quilting that was much smaller than anything I had tried before. It worked beautifully.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Valerie! It looks lovely! And needle turn!!!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice wall hanging and blog too.Come visit mine some time.
    Prayers, Bo

    ReplyDelete