Sunday, March 1, 2009

Candied Tangerine Peel

When I made tangerine marmalade, I ended up with far more peels than what I needed for the marmalade. Last Christmas I had seen a recipe for candied orange peel, so I decided to try it out.

Since the tangerine skins are pretty thin, it only took about 20 minutes of cooking in the simply syrup (3 c. sugar dissolved in 1 c. water).

After I drained them, I dumped them into a small tray (from my toaster oven) loaded with about 1.5 c. of granulated sugar.



I mixed them around just enough to coat them in the sugar, not so much that the extra sugar dissolved.



Then I spread them out on a dehydrator tray and let them dehydrate at 135 F for about 2.5 hours.



You can do a bunch of things with them. They make great edible garnishes for desserts. They can be eaten straight as a sweet snack. Or you can drizzle chocolate on them! Yum! Gotta try that. This is a great thing to package up and put in a gift basket.

Also, the simple syrup can be used multiple times, as long as you refrigerate it between uses. It becomes very infused with the oil from the orange peels. I think this would be great for making sweet tea! I should brew a pot of tea and try it out.

1 comment:

  1. I made candied citrus peels (lemon and orange) last year to make a special German Christmas bread that calls for it. It's a little time intensive, but much cheaper to do it yourself! I hadn't thought I could reuse the syrup, and tossed it...darnit! Well, now I know for next time...and the tea idea is great, you'll have to let us know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete