Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Scrappy Roses

This quilt is not my style at all, but isn't it perfect for a little girl?  This quilt is going to one of my best friends from grad school who is expecting her first daughter in September.

All the fabric in this quilt except the white muslin used for the sashings and backing and the binding came from the scrap box at my local quilt shop.  They have a deal where you can stuff a bag for $5.  I hit the jackpot one day and they had a ton of coordinating scraps.  And by scraps, I mean some 1/4 yd. cuts, long strips, and a miscut panel (9 of the 12 motifs were salvageable and became the center pieces for the blocks in this quilt)!  I was sure I could do something with them, so I stuffed a bag with them and took them home.

I actually quilted this on a longarm at a local quilt shop that runs individual classes.  It's just an all-over meander. I loved getting to play on the longarm, but man...  White thread on this quilt was horribly hard to see.  Lesson 1: pick a contrasting color for easy visibility. 
I pieced the backing out of plain white muslin with a large scrap thrown in for visual appeal (plus, I didn't have quite enough muslin).  Then I bound it with some lovely white and red checks.


 Plus, my cute baby boy wanted to help model the quilt and show how a baby would enjoy the quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment