Sunday, June 24, 2012

The "Picnic Quilt"

This quilt was made for a new baby boy who was born in May.  His older brother was apparently infatuated with the quilt and christened it "the picnic quilt."  And I have to say that the name suits it.  I was also informed by the namer of the quilt that it was good to count the triangles and seeds and slices of watermelon on this quilt.  Who knew?!


It was from the May/June 2010 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine.  I liked the pattern so much I was going to make a bed sized quilt out of it, but decided to make a crib size instead to see if I liked it.  And I'm glad I did.  I enjoyed making this one, but I was over it by the time it was done.

Each shoo-fly block was done out of a different fabric from my scrap bag.  I simply echo-quilted around those blocks.

The watermelon blocks are each done in a different red fabric, and the seeds are black felt.  The watermelon slices were quilted with a stipple just to differentiate them. 

The backing was a blueberry print that I've had in my stash for at least 10 years.  Who knows where I got it from, but blueberries seemed to fit the "summer" theme of this quilt, so I went with it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment